Friday, February 6, 2009

Reaching Out

I love being able to navigate around the internet. Two months ago I didn't even know how to sign on to the net and now look at me ! ! ! I am so proud of what I have been able to figure out on my own. I have this lovely blog site and it feels just like home-sometimes I log on just to sit in front of the screen and give a sigh of delight. How crazy is that?
I wrote about reading Merna's book "100 Canadian Heroines" on my last post. Since then a lot has happened. I have been busy trying to reconnect with my own family history. There are not a lot of people left to give me their stories and it saddens me that I have left it so long. You always think that there is time to get to it later but that time has come and gone. I have tracked down my grandpa Rae's last remaining sibling and it seems incredible to think that, until last week, I had never even spoken to the gentleman. I have also reached out to my dad's cousin in Sudbury. She has been going through the same problem I have and has taken to scrapbooking her family history. She has promised to save any letters and pictures that relate to my family history for me.
Merna's book really pushed me to get started on all of this. I am impressed with her researching skills because at the end of her book is a 9 page list of all the books and articles she had to sift through. There was also an e-mail contact number as well as a web site. Click here to see the great job Merna did on it. I sent an e-mail to her contact number and I must admit to being suprised to get a personal response from her just an hour and a half later. I had just wanted to send a fan letter if you will, letting her know how much I enjoyed her book and to offer some suggestions as to what I would really love to see in a subsequent book. I was glad to hear she is working on a second book and can hardly wait for it to come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment