Monday, February 23, 2009

The Flight of the Silver Dart

Today is the 100th Anniversary of the Flight of the Silver Dart in Baddeck, Nova Scotia. I would have loved to have been there but maybe later in the summer I can arrange something. It was a fascinating story and one that I have only come lately to appreciate. It was the first airplane flight in Canada and it all came about because of a woman - Mabel Bell, wife of Alexander Graham Bell. When her husband became interested in flight, she had him bring in four more men who were more technically knowledgeable and put her own money into the project. They formed the AEA(the Aerial Experiment Association)
As anybody to this site would know - I have become absolutely fascinated with this woman's story and I keep wanting to find out more about her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment